Monday, September 14, 2015

Grow New Networks - My Nonviolent Communication



Grow New Networks - My Nonviolent Communication 


Light at Last - a blog about weight loss

Dorothy Rodwell, LMFT

September 14, 2015

It is good to know
Talking makes a difference

To me and myself

Image result for fruit with a bit of ice cream


  While noticing how others are treating us as we strengthen our healthy eating habits it’s important to also note how we are treating ourselves.  Sometimes, we do not treat ourselves like a trusted friend and instead act like we are in a battle between me and myself.  In a way we can consider that to be our logical mind and our emotional mind.  

What to do?  How we talk to our emotional mind makes a difference.

  Marshall Rosenberg developed a process of nonviolent communication and it fits well into the discussion here.  There are four parts to this communication process: observation, feelings, needs, and requests.  By observing what I see, hear, imagine, or remember without evaluation the first step is taken.  What am I observing?  I am observing whatever does not contribute to my wellbeing around intelligent eating.   

Here is an example of this process in action.  When I see that I have eaten two portions of ice cream…… I feel sad ….because I need to know that I can count on doing what I want to do with my eating…..Am I willing to stop after one portion and eat a healthy sweet instead? 

As each eating celebration happens daily, new habits form and new networks are formed in the brain.    For today be curious not furious!

No comments:

Post a Comment